Anything But Straight - Roma
Are you gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or intersex (LGBTI), or know someone who is? With one in five families having a gay family member, chances are you do.
Anything But Straight is a non-profit community group established to help overcome the social and emotional isolation experienced by LGBTI people living in the Roma community.
By facilitating and promoting communication between LGBTI people and their families and friends, the group aims to reduce the sense of isolation most LGBTI people feel when living outside major cities.
Members of the group include local LGBTI & LGBTI friendly counsellors, the local LGBTI Police Liaison Officer and the PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) representatives in Roma.
By providing social networking opportunities, referral services and resources, Anything But Straight is here to support you and your family.
Our support and referral services include:
• A peer support network
• Local Gay and LGBTI friendly counsellors
• LGBTI Police Liaison Officers
• Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) Members
• Drug and Alcohol Counsellors
Throughout the year we will be holding meetings and events, providing you with great social networking opportunities and access to LGBTI related resources.
Anything But Straight assists the local LGBTI community through education for them, their family, friends and the general community through the following services.
• Educating the LGBTI community about issues that may affect them including coming out, depression and anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse, sexually transmitted infections, and personal safety
• Educating and assisting families with lesbian and gay members to understand and care for each other and offer support where needed.
• Working with schools to provide education on recognising and minimising homophobic bullying and how to support students that may be questioning their sexuality.
• Promoting a sense of community among LGBTI people and encouraging good relations and education with the general community.
In addition to providing support and education, Anything But Straight aims to advocate for the local gay community in the fight to stamp out discrimination, inequality and homophobia.
Contact Anything But Straight today and be assured of total support and confidentiality.
Phone: 0487 463 045 (All hours)